What was the event about?
This year’s edition of the Franco-German Security Forum took place online. Under the title “Thinking European Security Together” the event addressed the implications of a greater European sovereignty. Why do we need European sovereignty and how can Germany and France contribute to advance this goal? The event started off with the Diplomatic Advisor to the French President Emmanuel Bonne, State Minister Niels Annen, Deputy President of the Foreign Affairs Committee Dr. Daniela de Ridder and President of the Foreign Affairs Committee Jean-Louis Bourlanges who provided an impetus on the need for more European sovereignty and the role of France and Germany in this endeavour. Consensual assessments included improving the European Union’s capacity to act, focussing on common instead of divisive issues, and tackling intricate but in the long term rewarding challenges like the FCAS project.
During the subsequent panel discussion on the EU’s strategic compass, Dr. Jana Puglierin, Head of the European Council on Foreign Relations Berlin Office, Dr. Bruno Tertrais, Deputy Director of the Fondation pour la recherche stratégique, Sabine Thillaye, MoDem, President of the European Affairs Committee, Assemblée nationale, Wolfgang Hellmich, President of the Defense Committee of the Bundestag, debated on priorities to be set. How can Germany and France contribute to a common strategic culture and encourage other member states to follow their lead? Our panellists argued in favour of closely involving member states into the negotiation process, not be shy about a wide and deep look at security topics, forging painful but necessary compromises, and managing expectations.
The Franco-German Security Forum forms part of a Franco-German dialogue series which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office. The series seeks to enhance Franco-German cooperation in line with the aims of the Aachen Treaty. For more information, more detailed summaries about the discussions and follow-ups, visit our website.
03:00 pm - 03:05 pm Welcoming remarks and introduction
- Pascal Lamy, President of the Jacques Delors Centre’s Advisory Board
- Dr. Katharina Emschermann, Deputy Director of the Centre for International Security, Hertie School
03:05 pm - 03:50 pm What is the next step for European sovereignty?
- Niels Annen, State Minister, German Federal Foreign Minister, SPD
- Emmanuel Bonne, Diplomatic Advisor to the French President
- Jean-Louis Bourlanges, President of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Assemblée nationale, MoDem
- Daniela De Ridder, Deputy President of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Bundestag, SPD
- Moderator: Christiane Hoffmann, Journalist and Author, Der Spiegel
04:00 pm - 04:45 pm Should the EU readjust its strategic compass?
- Dr. Jana Puglierin, Head of European Council on Foreign Relations Berlin
- Dr. Bruno Tertrais, Deputy Director at the Fondation pour la recherche stratégique
- Sabine Thillaye, MoDem, President of the European Affairs Committee, Assemblée nationale
- Wolfgang Hellmich, SPD, President of the Defense Committee, Bundestag
- Moderator: Dr. Nicole Koenig, Deputy Director of the Jacques Delors Centre